Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Dreaded C Word

The C word. The dreaded C word. And no, I’m not talking about C U Next Tuesday. Although I wish I was! Every fiber of my being wishes I was. But alas, I am not. I’m talking about something much worse. CANCER!! An ugly, horrible word, no one ever wants to hear. Unfortunately for my family this word has shoved its way in and made itself at home in my poor little cousins body.

He’s not so little, in his teens, 13 I believe (I know, horrible I’m not certain), he’s taller now than I am and will hopefully grow up to be a great man. But he’ll always be my little cousin with the 10 year age difference and all. No matter how big he gets I’ll always think of him as 10 years old.

This week we found out he had cancer. What started out as being thought of as possible growing pains has turned into Stage 3 Osteocarcoma. The good thing is he is going to start treatment right away. Unfortunately from what I’ve been able to tell from a quick research on this, it isn’t good, BUT I as well as my family are NOT going to give up on this young man. I’m going to stay positive for him and for his parents and brother and because I’m hopeful he can get through this.

It breaks my heart that he has to go through this. I can’t even imagine what my aunt and uncle are going through. This is their son, their little boy, but we will stay strong as a family and pull through this no matter what happens. We will be there for them.

It’s a strange thing cancer. It’s not some virus you can catch, It’s your body literally turning against you. And why? We may never know. It’s unimaginable.

I personally don’t believe in any kind of religion, in this case I wish it were real/true. I wish that all the prayers being sent out would be answered. What I do believe in is strength and being positive. I believe that keeping him positive and keeping his environment positive along with his strength and will to fight are very important and will help tremendously.

It’s a sad, terrible thing when anyone has cancer let alone a child. No child should go through this. I’m going to keep believing that he’ll get through this, I know he will. I love you cuz and I’m always be here for you!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, I'm so sorry:( If that's any comfort, sarcomas are among the cancers where research has had a lot of success and the prognosis now is VERY good. The treatment is still very tough though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will take all the good news we can get! Thank you girl! We just have to hope for he best!

      Delete