Tuesday, October 2, 2012

That Bitch

This past Friday I went to visit my grandmother. It’s been a couple of weeks since her surgery. I’ve heard a lot of positive things from everyone on how she’s doing, but I wanted to go and visit her myself and let her know that I’m worried about her and love her.

Bill was so great, he drove all the way down there with me. This is San Diego mind you, and from where we live, it’s usually about a three hour drive. I was really glad that he did that and that he sat there with my grandmother and me at the hospital. We were only there for about two and a half hours, but I know that meant a lot to my grandmother. AND thankfully, no one else was there, so it was just the three of us, not including her roommate on the other side of the curtain. AND ok, yes, the cousin showed up, but thankfully only for about 5 minutes. Full of fake pleasantries, and “oh, I’m so happy to see you!” , but again, thankfully only for 5 minutes.

I was elated to see how much better she looked from the last time I saw her. Of course that was right after a major surgery that took twice as long as it should have. Thankfully she made it through and that’s all that mattered. She almost looked back to normal. Almost. I’m so amazed at what a strong woman she is, to be bouncing back so quickly. She is still a little weak but, oh I can’t even tell you how much better she’s doing. Of course we aren’t anywhere near the end for her, she’s got a long road of recovery ahead. But she’s moving along and I’m so happy!

I’m going to make sure I go back down and visit in about a month. I’d like to give her time to get out of the hospital and get settled at home and get her routine going with all the things she’ll need. I told her she has to slow down. She’s a very active woman in her church. Always going to conferences and trying to help other people. Now she just needs to focus on herself and healing herself. My strong lovely little grandmother, I love you dearly!

Grandma Rose & Ariana last Christmas


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to get down to SD to visit your Grandma Rose and only had to endure 5-mins of "the cousin." I'm also glad Bill went with you. It tells me what a good man he is, giving you the support that you deserve.

    It's always hard for active people to slow down and take care of themselves when they have a health issue. I'm sure with all of her family gently reminding and encouraging her, she will get through it beautifully.

    I love the photo you've added of her and your niece. They're both gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to go and yes, thankfully Bill is very supportive! It’s sometimes hard to find a man that is, which we’ve been through, but now we’ve got men that are absolutely great!

      I’m hoping that because she’s so far away, the family that is down there, mainly my uncle and the annoying cousin, will be the ones to keep an eye on her and make sure she’s not trying to do too much too fast. But mainly, I think she gets it, that she’s got to slow down.

      And thank you, she does adore my niece! Her little great-grand baby.

      xoxo

      Delete