Monday, September 10, 2012

Death and Dying

Now, I know this isn’t the best way to come back this world of blogging after having some time pass since I’ve last been here. But I couldn’t help myself from thinking about this. It started sometime this weekend. I must’ve been bored or who knows what. I have no idea where it came from, but I started thinking about dying. And of course when I arrive at work it pops back in my head and I had to say to myself, why am I thinking about this?

Again, where this came from, I have no idea. But it’s a little depressing to think that after we die, that’s it. We are gone. This world and this universe goes on. And it has obviously done that for millions of years and it will continue to do so. But us? Nope we are just gone. We have this little spec of life on the timeline of the Earth and the universe and that’s it. Where do we go? Do we go anywhere? What happens to us? I’m not a religious person nor do I believe in religion or that we go to heaven or hell….I think it’s a comforting thought, to believe that when we die we go to heaven and are able to see our loved ones etc. etc. (if we make to heaven). I think it’s something we humans have used for comfort for as long as we’ve been around.

On the other side of that, if that doesn’t exist, then what happens to us? I think back on an episode of Dr. Who, a sad episode for me, but any who ;), one of the characters dies and says, she was right or something like that (referring to either a previous episode or something that happened earlier in that episode), that when you die it’s black, it’s all black. You’re in the world of darkness essentially is how I took it. And that’s my point I guess. Is that what happens to us? Or nothing?

I guess it’s a hard concept to grasp. It’s hard to wrap my head around it. We are here living and breathing and going through life. and to have death be just pure nothing….that’s a little hard to grasp and hard to imagine. Especially when you think of the ones you love that are still here and the ones you’ve lost. I love living and I love being, so what does that mean when I die?

These are the pleasant thoughts I’ve had in my head over the weekend! HA!

PS: it’s one of those things that I could just ponder over for hours and think about I guess. It’s kind of like the universe. Bill and I will talk about it sometimes, it’s another one of those things that is hard to grasp. I ask the question, we have our galaxy and beyond that is other galaxies and stars and all kinds of wonderful things, but what’s beyond that? and beyond that? it’s hard to imagine there being and end. however big the universe might be all things have an end or and edge, and where that edge lies, what’s beyond that? and what’s beyond the beyonds edge and so forth. It’s hard for the human mind I think in general not to think that way. Everything in our world and in science I think would make one think that. It’s just one of those things that I could think about and think about!

2 comments:

  1. It's deep, isn't it? And definitely hard to grasp. When I was in high school I thought about death a lot. Just call me Little Miss Morbid! It was depressing! But then I had this moment when I realized that I couldn't imagine myself NOT existing. I can imagine anything. Anything. But I can't imagine that.

    I've lost people close to me and at times, I feel their presence. I've also felt the presence of spirit or energies who I don't know. And these experiences are as real to me as my dining room table, the tree out my window, or the computer I'm typing on.

    One theory is that everything in the Universe is energy. Scientists theorize that energy doesn't die, it just changes form. Sounds good to me!!

    Great post, Devin! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I love that, “Little Miss Morbid!”

      I completely agree, it’s really hard to imagine NOT exisiting. It’s just a crazy thought! How do you go from living and breathing and experiencing this wonderful thing called life, and then nothing! It’s hard to really understand.

      I don’t know how I would feel about that, if I felt a presence especially if you could tell it wasn’t someone you knew. But it has to be comforting to feel that when it’s someone you know and cared about, to know they are still there with you.

      I like that theory and it makes sense!! I’ll definitely keep that in mind!

      :)

      Delete