Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Couch to 5K

Yesterday was the start of a new adventure! Not anything exciting like one might think or hope for. It’s something Bill and I decided to do after my Aunt brought the idea up to me. When I approached Bill with it, he told me that he had actually been thinking about it recently as something we might do. So we said, ok, we can do this. What is it we are doing? Running! Yes, I said it, running, well jogging really. Is it the same, no I don’t really think so, I think of runners as going at a faster pace than anything I would do!

We started jogging because I couldn’t get myself to go to the gym and I feel jogging is a much better workout than the gym. Not that I’m some workout junkie or anything close to that! No Way! If I don’t keep active and start jogging, I’ll get fatter, not something I’d like to do. Plus, I’d like to eat junk food every now and then and not worry about where it’s going to end up, my thighs or my ass!

If that sounds shallow, I’m sorry, because that is definitely not me! I want to lose weight and be healthier etc. etc. for me, because I’m not comfortable with me now like I was such and such pounds ago and I’d like to get back to there.

Now, back to our adventure, if you’ll continue to let me call it that, not that there is a choice. Bill and I had been jogging on and off in the past and haven’t been so diligent in our efforts as of late. So when my Aunt put this idea in my head, I thought, perfect, this will get us back on track. (I say us, but really me, he’s just such a good man that he does it with me) Yesterday, was our first run!

Let me first tell you what this plan actually is. It varies depending on where you look it up. But essentially it’s building up until you can jog 30 minutes or 3 plus change miles without stopping. Each week your jogging portion is increased by a few minutes. In between jogging your walking for a certain length of time. I’m going to be pretty impressed if we can do this. The one we found is 9 weeks long, 3 days per week.

Doesn’t sound too bad right? That’s what I thought! I figured, hey I could do this. I’m lucky enough that I’m athletic and have those abilities so I’ve been able to do similar things in the past with softball conditioning. But I always push the thought back in my mind that I’m older now and not working out hard like I did 6 or 7 years ago! (GAH! That long! Holy smokes! How time flies!)

My point is, I had that in my head, that I’d be able to do it, well I thought I was going to die halfway through our jog yesterday! I hate to admit it, but I had to cut it short. I had to cut it short by walking the rest of the way home. We broke it up into reps of jogging and walking, cause you jog then you walk, then you jog then you walk. So we had 8 reps, we did 4 cause I couldn’t do anymore. I’m going to chalk it up to not having jogged in months. So we will stretch that 9 week out to 10 weeks and continue this week’s workout to the 4 reps or more if I can handle it and then go to the 8 next week.

I still think we can do it. Like I said, I will be pretty impressed with Bill and I if we can work ourselves up to the 30 minutes non-stop jogging. I don’t know if it’s just me, but that sounds like a long time to just be jogging, the most I was ever able to do, other than on the elliptical, which isn’t the same, is 10 minutes and I was 16 or so, so that was, oh my, almost 10 years ago, yikes! Here’s to hoping we can do it and that we can stick to our little adventure and see it through to the end!

And thank you Bill for doing this with me and helping to push me to do it! I love you!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Good for you, Dev!!! If I could jog for 5-minutes, I'd be thrilled. If I jogged for 30-minutes, I'd be sure that I turned into Wonder Woman! Hah!


    I'm really glad to hear that you have such supportive man in your life. You deserve it!! And I'm sorry I missed this post earlier. I've been kind of off the internet grid. Hope all is well with you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks! I’m hoping to pull this off…well ok, if I don’t I won’t really be disappointed….my goal is to just improve..it’ll take me a while but that’s ok..I’m in no rush! I’m on the same page with you…if I got to that 30 minutes, I’d be amazed and a superhero! Lol!

      And thank you! I think we all deserve that and we are lucky to have found that!!

      And don’t even fret, I’ve been off myself! I haven’t been keeping up with anyone myself, I’ve got a little more time on my hands but I haven’t sat down at the computer in a while to see what’s been going on.

      I manage to check Facebook and only cause it’s on my phone so it’s convenient. Hehe

      But all is going well! I hope all is well with you too! xoxo

      Delete